News & Updation
Best Paper Awards
World Journal of Advance Healthcare Research (WJAHR)Honored the authors with best paper award, monthly based on the innovation of research work. Best paper will be selected by our expert panel.
Best Article of current issue
Download Article : Click here
SOLID WASTE SOURCE AND DISPOSAL PRACTICES IN FEW EDUCATIONAL INSTITUES IN MYSORE CITY, KARNATAKA, INDIA – A CASE STUDY
Nandini L. S. and S. Basavarajappa*
Mysore is one of the educational hubs in India. It provides better education to the students from different parts of India and other countries. Obviously, it is the prime privilege of Mysore to offer good and clean environment around the year. To record the waste produced from different school and colleges 18 wards were selected randomly and 55 educational institutes were visited personally during January to April, 2018. The solid waste source, collection, storage, isolation, transportation and disposal practices were collected by using pre-tested questionnaire. Five type of paper waste, six type of plastic waste and seven other types of waste were commonly recorded from different schools and colleges. The incompletely used papers (23.4%), news paper (21.7%), card board sheets (17.6%), challans, waste cheques (14.4%) and paper cups (22.9%) appeared as bio-degradable waste. The plastic sachets/wrappers (36.9%), chocolate covers (28.3%), snack covers (26.4%), empty butter milk, sweet box covers, plastic water bottles, juice bottles and plastic sachets (around 4%) appeared as non-biodegradable waste. The unused food (24.5%), electronic waste (22.1%), dry leaves (16.2%), unused pencil, eraser (rubber) (15.7%), ink bottles, laboratory waste and metal waste (around 10%) appeared as other type of waste in educational institutes. The waste collection methods were not alike. Fifty per cent of the educational institutes have isolated waste into dry and wet waste and remaining 50% of the educational institutes didn’t practice the waste segregation. Further, quantity of waste produced per day was considerably varied among the educational institutes. Further, 68.7% of the educational institutes did use general dust bin for storing the collected waste and remaining 31.3% of the educational institutes stored the waste in colour coded dust bins. Further, disposal of waste produced in educational institutes varied considerably. Despite the clean city status three times, Mysore is still experiencing hardships to control and manage the solid waste at educational institutes and it demands regular update on solid waste to develop management strategies to maintain clean and hygienic environment amidst educational institutes in Mysore.[Full Text Article]